SHIFT SUPERVISOR - WASTEWATER OPERATIONS - MD
Harford County, MD
invites applications for the position of:
SHIFT SUPERVISOR -
An Equal Opportunity Employer
$53,856.00 - $11 4,261.00
HOURS OF WORK: M-F; 7:00AM-3:00PM
DEPARTMENT: Department of Public Works
OPENING DATE: 10/09/19
CLOSING DATE: 01/03/20 11:59 PM
NATURE OF WORK:
This is responsible supervisory work in the Harford County Water and Wastewater Systems.
Employees in this class are responsible for the proper utilization of staff, equipment and
treatment techniques for the continuous monitoring of the operating efficiency of applicable
facilities for the development and application of improved methods and techniques, and for
exercising supervision over a shift of senior plant operators, plant operators, trainees, and/or
mechanics. Employees work under general supervision of the Plant Superintendent, and may
be "on call" as directed.
The working hours for this position are Monday - Friday, 7:00AM-3:00PM; however,
those within this position are considered a critical employee and must be available
on-call 24/7/365 for emergencies and other department needs (such as rotating shift
Please be advised this position will remain open for an extended period and the
Department of Human Resources (DHR) will attempt to review submitted applications
through the extended process. However, upon submittal, you may not immediately
hear from the DHR office.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
(The following examples illustrate the work performed in the positions in the class.
Positions may require some or all of these examples depending on the organization of
work within the department. The list is not inclusive. A position may require duties
not listed, if necessary, to accomplish the work of the department.)
1. Organizes and assigns daily routine operational and maintenance tasks to subordinates
and assures that these tasks are performed properly.
2. Organizes and maintains a safety oriented program.
3. Inspects the facilities daily to assure equipment is properly operated and maintained.
4. Repairs or makes arrangements for others to repair any mechanical breakdowns in
equipment at minimum downtime.
5. Follows strict preventive maintenance procedures and recordkeeping as directed from
6. Engages in actively training subordinates in basic water and wastewater processing skills
including pre certification test review sessions.
7. Keeps inventory on chemical, fuel, and lubricant usage to assure efficiency and adequate
8. Participates in self training programs to stay in touch with new techniques in the field.
9. Analyzes plant and/or laboratory analyses and reports on adjustment of processing
10. Prepares reports on any aspect of the work involved to superiors and other shift
11. Maintains effective working relationships with employees, officials and the public.
12. Keeps proper certification with the State of Maryland as specified by law.
13. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices methods and techniques of processing water
and wastewater according to State and Federal standards. Familiarity with and past experience
with Word, Excel, and Access based programs. Ability to instruct through demonstration of
such practices, methods and techniques to analyze plant and laboratory analysis and reports to
inspect facilities and make minor repairs to equipment to supervise and train others to
maintain records and prepare reports to maintain a courteous and cooperative working
relationship with others to climb, stoop, kneel, reach, lift, walk and stand for prolonged periods
of time to drive a County vehicle while carrying out some assignments. Worker is subject to
atmospheric conditions such as odors, noise, and inside and outside environmental conditions.
Must be able to wear a negative pressure respirator and/or self contained breathing apparatus
Two (2) year degree or certificate in water or wastewater operations chemistry, biology, or
engineering OR sixty (60) or more credits in a water or wastewater related field (see note 1
ALSO REQUIRED is satisfactory completion of the following course or equivalent (the course
may be included in the above credits if applicable): At least 40 hours of formal supervisory
training in a seminar, short course or college semester format.
Five (5) years' waste water plant operating experience at the processing works applied for or at
an equivalent processing works: (Wastewater - Class 5A).
CERTIFICATION & LICENSE:
1. Possession of a valid permanent Maryland Board of Certification license for the class of
works of the position applied for.
2. Possession of a valid Maryland Board of Certification Wastewater Class 5A license or equal
certifications from another state at the time of hire. Candidates with out of state
certifications will be obligated to obtain required License through reciprocity within six
months of employment.
3. Possession of a valid Class C non commercial driver's license with no more than three (3)
points. Please be advised this position requires a valid driver's license. Your
application will not be accepted if you fail to include the full driver's license
Must comply with Harford County Safety Manual.
Additional education/experience as described above may be substituted for the degree
requirement on a year for year basis, but listed coursework must be completed.
Candidates must provide proof of required credits on their employment application and
must provide copies of college or other transcripts. Candidates must also provide proof of
completion of the required courses.
Selected candidate will be subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
This class of positions requires occasional use of negative pressure respirator and/or SCBA.
Level of use for employee will be determined during the employee's physical examination
with the County's medical provider.
This class of positions requires incumbents to maintain a clean facial surface at all
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
220 South Main Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- This position was posted on: 10-15-2019.
- It will be removed on: 11-14-2019.