Sewer Maintainer - South Milwaukee
South Milwaukee Wastewater
$22.07 - $28.38 Hourly
South Milwaukee, WI
Wastewater Treatment Facility
6/21/2020 11:59 PM Central
Under general supervision and direction of the Wastewater Superintendent and Assistant Wastewater Superintendent, the Sewer Maintainer maintains efficient operation of the sewerage collection system, including sewer line and appurtenance maintenance and repair, assists in wastewater facility operations, maintenance, and repair, and performs related work as required.
This position qualifies as emergency personnel as permitted by Wis. Stat.
7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (generally) with 10 minute break and 20 minute paid lunch; 40 hours per week (generally); additional time as the job dictates.
Will be available on call during off hours on a rotational basis with other employees.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Operates compressors, pumps, pneumatic hammers and drills, picks,
shovels and other necessary tools to excavate and uncover underground sewer lines in need of attention.
* Uses sewer jet and root cutters to clean and clear sewer lines of
debris and roots.
* Investigates, cleans, and maintains lift stations, relief stations,
and siphon chambers; inspects and repairs pumps and tanks.
* Responds to sewer back-ups at homes and businesses.
* Cleans, inspects, and repairs storm and sanitary collection systems.
* Operates motor driven vacuum equipment.
* Operates sewer televising equipment.
* Removes manhole covers and inlet grates and cleans water, dirt, sand,
sediment, trash and debris from sewer lines and inlets, using hand tools and water pumps.
* Operates snow plows, salter, and snow blowers; shovels snow; drives
and services trucks; operates backhoe and other equipment.
* Installs manholes, inlets, and sewer lines, including all masonry work
in connection therewith.
* Maintains buildings and grounds.
* Works with wastewater facility operators, as directed, to assist them
in their duties.
* Perform road repair regarding collection systems.
* Cuts grass, shovels snow, paints.
* Assist other city departments as assigned by the Assistant
Superintendent or Superintendent.
* Maintains prompt, predictable, and regular physical attendance.
* Performs other related duties consistent with the function of the
classification; other duties as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience:
· High school diploma or GED.
· Three years of recent increasingly responsible experience in
general maintenance work.
· Valid Wisconsin Driver's License required.
· Must possess or obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License (with
Type "N" Tanker Endorsement) within three months of beginning position and must be maintained during tenure.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of common sewer cleaning tools and equipment.
· Knowledge of city sewerage system.
· Knowledge of city's geography.
· Knowledge of occupational and safety hazards and precautions
necessary in the work place.
· Thorough knowledge of detecting trouble areas and in applying
proper corrective techniques to problems in the sewerage system.
· Thoroughness, resourcefulness, and good judgment.
· Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
· Ability to effectively and professionally interact and deal with
the public and coworkers; ability to handle stressful situations; discretion is required.
· Basic computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft
· Ability to provide truthful and accurate written and verbal
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Compressors, pumps, pneumatic hammers and drills, picks, shovels, common hand tools, sewer rods, root cutters, motor driven cleaning equipment, sewer televising equipment, flexible cables, snow plows, snow blowers, trucks and service trucks, lawn mower, and general small equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; climb, balance, bend, twist and reach; smell, feel, hear, and talk; push, pull, grasp, carry, use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, controls, and machinery; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
Exposure to various shop gases and fumes; exposure to various shop acids and cleaners; exposure to load shop related noises. Must be able to withstand exposure to inclement weather and loud noises.
Special Conditions of Work
Must be able to respond to work in emergencies and in all types of weather conditions at any hour of the day or night. Must be able to work unsupervised for extended periods of time.
Formal application; rating of education and experience; oral interview; reference check; job related tests may be required. All applicants may be required to submit to medical examination prior to appointment, consistent with the requirements of the position. Background check of local, state, or federal authorities will be conducted for all applicants.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of South Milwaukee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the city will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The City of South Milwaukee does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, political affiliation, or the presence of sensory, mental, or physical disability, or any other non-merit factor.
Minority applicants and Military Veterans are encouraged to apply.
The residency requirement for all emergency city employees shall be as permitted by Wis. Stat. Sec. 66.0502.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
As outlined in the annual Salary Ordinance and General Employee Personnel Manual.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. This is an "at will"
position, and no language found in this posting should be interpreted in any way to create an employment contract of any type.
- This position was posted on: 06-15-2020.
- It will be removed on: 07-06-2020.