CLEAN WATER OPERATOR - Waukesha
City of Waukesha
CLEAN WATER OPERATOR
SALARY: $24.71 - $33.36 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 01/09/18
CLOSING DATE: 01/29/18 04:00 PM
This position performs skilled work to operate and maintain the City's Clean Water Plant and sewage
Starting Salary: $24.71 per hour; maximum $33.36 achieved through merit increases.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
1. Makes regular tours of the plant to check equipment, report malfunctions and unsafe conditions.
2. Records readings from meters and instruments to check functioning of equipment.
3. Regulates and adjusts motors, pumps, engines, valves and other apparatus to meet changing
4. Collects samples of wastewater and sludge from the different treatment units for laboratory
5. Cleans and services pumps, engines, motors and other equipment.
6. Performs preventive and corrective maintenance on plant wastewater equipment.
7. Makes repairs and/or reports defects to Maintenance Supervisor.
8. Paints, cleans and does other maintenance to buildings and grounds.
9. Required to be "on-call" for response to alarms and emergencies at the WWTP and lift stations; may be required to operate emergency generators and other equipment. (rotating basis)
10. Serves as the Lift Station Maintainer on a rotating basis; performs all preventive and corrective
maintenance at lift stations.
11. Performs lab work; performs simple laboratory tests related to plant operations.
12. Performs work in tanks, confined spaces and high locations.
13. Sets up confined entry equipment; performs confined entries.
14. Inspects and maintains safety equipment including all confined entry equipment and fall
15. May assist in snow removal operations.
Graduation from a technical school or college with an Associate's Degree or equivalent in electronics
and mechanical operations related to wastewater treatment plant operations or related trades, and 4 –
6 years of experience in wastewater treatment plant and lift station operations; or any equivalent
combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, ability and skills:
Operating characteristics and maintenance requirements of a wastewater treatment plant.
Hydraulic, chemical and mechanical principles related to wastewater treatment plant operations.
The use of electrical meters, testers and generators.
Hydraulics and pneumatics, lab work, and the use of heavy equipment.
Mechanical and electrical operations, welding and plumbing.
Occupational hazards and the proper safety methods and procedures used to avoid or minimize
The use of specialized equipment used in the maintenance and repair of WWTP lift stations.
(e.g., HMI, GIS and SCADA).
The use of standard office equipment including computers and relevant software programs.
Understand and carry out instructions.
Work independently with minimal supervision.
Diagnose mechanical operations equipment problems and determine proper remedial measures.
Use plant monitoring and control software.
Make appropriate repairs to lift station equipment, buildings and grounds.
Perform light to heavy physical tasks under varying weather conditions, and work in confined
spaces (training provided).
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, supervisors, coworkers
and the general public.
Oral and written communications.
The operation of specialized equipment used to perform the essential job functions.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Valid Wisconsin driver's license; the ability to complete a pre-employment post offer physical to include drug and alcohol screening upon hire; may require certification in HVAC, plumbing, welding and/or heavy equipment operation; Factory, Shop and Mill License; relevant DNR Wastewater
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed both indoors and outside; hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office and other specialized equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, prolonged visual concentration
and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls and
reach with hands and arms.
The employee is frequently required to bend, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee may frequently be exposed to adverse weather and other unpleasant conditions such as heat, cold, wetness and humidity; dim or bright lights, dust, odors, noise, vibrations,
toxic agents, electrical currents and disease.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
201 Delafield Street, Room 205
Waukesha, WI 53188
- This position was posted on: 01-10-2018.
- It will be removed on: 01-30-2018.