Clean Water Operator - Waukesha
City of Waukesha
Job Title Clean Water Operator
Closing Date/Time Mon. 9/23/19 4:00pm Central
Salary $25.27 – 34.11 Hourly
Job Type Full Time
Location City of Waukesha Clean Water Plant (600 Sentry Dr)
This position performs skilled work to operate the City's wastewater treatment and biosolids processing. It includes monitoring equipment, data analysis, process
adjustments, and maintenance of treatment plant equipment.
Salary: $25.27; $34.11 achieved through merit increases.
Examples Of Essential Duties:
1. Makes regular tours of the plant to check equipment, report malfunctions and unsafe condition
2. Records readings from meters and instruments to check functioning of equipment at the plant; ability to read and understand schematics and blueprints
3. Regulates and adjusts motors, pumps, engines, valves and other apparatus to meet changing operating conditions
4. Collects samples of wastewater and sludge from the different treatment units for laboratory analysis
5. Cleans and services pumps, engines, motors and other equipment
6. Performs and reports preventive and corrective maintenance on plant wastewater equipment
7. Responds to alarms and emergencies at the plant and lift stations including operation of emergency generators and other equipment
8. Paints, cleans and does other maintenance to buildings and grounds
9. Operates and follows the process control guidelines set for the CWP by management in accordance with the WPDES permit
10. Performs work on grounds maintenance; ie: grass cutting, snow removal, and ice abetment
11. Required to be "on-call" for response to alarms and emergencies at the CWP and lift stations; may be required to operate emergency generators and other
12. Replaces the Lab Tech on a rotating basis; performs all standard laboratory procedures related to plant process and WPDES discharge permit
13. Performs lab work; performs laboratory tests related to plant operations and WPDES discharge permit
14. Performs work in tanks, confined spaces and high locations
15. Inspects and maintains safety equipment including all confined entry equipment and fall protection equipment. Sets up confined entry equipment; performs
· Graduation from a technical school or college with an Associate's Degree or equivalent in electronics and mechanical operations related to wastewater treatment plant
operations or related trades, and 4 – 6 years of experience in wastewater treatment plant and lift station operations; or any equivalent combination of training and
experience which provides the following knowledge, ability and skills:
• Department policies and procedures.
• Business English, including grammar, punctuation, format and tone.
• Operating characteristics and maintenance requirements of a wastewater treatment plant. Hydraulic, chemical and mechanical principles related to wastewater
treatment plant operations. The use of electrical meters, testers and generators.
• Process control parameters, lab work, and the use of testing equipment.
• Occupational hazards and the proper safety methods and procedures used to avoid or minimize risks.
• The use of specialized equipment used in the monitoring and process control of the plant.
• The use of standard office equipment including computers and specified software programs.
• (e.g., HMI, GIS and SCADA).
• General office procedures and the use of standard office equipment and relevant software programs.
• Multitask and prioritize workload.
• Understand and carry out instructions.
• Work independently with minimal supervision.
• Diagnose mechanical operations equipment problems and determine proper remedial measures. Use plant monitoring and control software.
• Make appropriate adjustments to treatment plant equipment, buildings and grounds.
• Perform light to heavy physical tasks under varying weather conditions, and work in confined spaces (training provided).
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, supervisors, coworkers and the general public.
• Oral and written communications.
• The operation of specialized equipment used to perform the essential job functions.
• Dealing courteously and professionally with others.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Valid driver's license with excellent driving record; the ability to complete a pre-employment post offer physical to include drug and alcohol screening upon hire; requires
certification(s) in 2 or more of the following: HVAC, electromechanical; plumbing, welding and/or heavy equipment operation; DNR General Wastewater Operator
certification, Wastewater subclasses – within one year of hire.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
201 Delafield Street, Room 205
Waukesha, WI 53188
- This position was posted on: 09-17-2019.
- It will be removed on: 10-17-2019.